Crispy Salt And SzeChuan Pepper Prawns
Serves: 2-3 Prep Time: 20mins Cook Time: 2-2.5 hours
- 8 - 10 large raw, shell on king prawns BUY
- 1 tablespoon of szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon of white or black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ¼ cup each of corn flour and rice flour
- Vegetable oil for cooking
Sweet chilli & lime mayo:
Stir all following ingredients together in a bowl. Makes about ½ cup.
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- Finely grated zest of one lime
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Toast both peppercorns in a small dry sauté pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 40-60 seconds. Pound in a mortar until finely ground, add the salt and pound again.
- Combine both flours in a large bowl and add 2 teaspoons of the Szechuan salt. Dredge the prawns in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1cm of oil in a medium saucepan and when hot, in batches, carefully place the prawns in the oil and cook for about 2 minutes, or until lightly golden and just cooked through. Place on paper towels and immediately sprinkle both sides with some of the Szechuan salt.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with lime wedges, the remaining salt and the mayo if making.
- Peel the prawns then squeeze over the lime. Dip in the Szechuan salt, then into the mayo, and devour.